Regional Initiative Councils
What are Initiative Councils?
Together, ULI Charlotte, South Carolina and Triangle offer Regional Initiative Councils (RICs). Modeled after national product councils, the mission of the regional council program is to convene ULI members (throughout North and South Carolina) to promote learning, build District Council leadership, share knowledge and expertise and encourage regional collaboration.
The RICs provide opportunities for leadership and volunteer involvement in ULI, at the regional level, by promoting excellence in programming, by fostering a culture of openness, and by sharing issues critical to land use planning and real estate development.
Council Types and Topics
Three Initiative Councils are available :
- Market Impacts Council (MIC): This council will explore market trends and the opportunities created in our communities by large scale development and large employers (such as corporations, universities, and medical centers). Discussion includes catalytic market transactions, economic development, capital markets, infrastructure and how developers can leverage the demand for supporting industries, housing and commercial real estate.
- Rethinking Southern Cities Council (RSC): This council will explore how southern cities can best harness their growth in a more urban and authentic fashion. Discussion will center around how continuing population growth and demographic shifts and preferences will affect development patterns infill development, adaptive reuse of historic or obsolete buildings, transportation, infrastructure and urban housing.
- Young Leaders Council: Formerly the Regional Partnership Forums (rPF), this council is open to Young Leader Group members that are ready to get involved at the next level of ULI. Each meeting will include professionals from the industry sharing their best practices, discussing catalytic real estate projects in our communities, and fostering regional idea exchange amongst council members.
Each RIC leadership will determine the details of topics and programming for each meeting. The RICs meet per year: prior to the Carolinas’ Meeting (January/February) and Fall (August/September).
- All ULI members are invited to apply to participate on a Regional Initiative Council. Accepted applicants will be notified in December.
- Applications will be reviewed by a regional committee and every effort will be made to achieve professional, ethnic and industry diversity.
- All ULI Members representing Charlotte, South Carolina and the Triangle are eligible.
- Each council is limited to 35-45 members.
- Council members must have 10+ years’ experience in real estate and/or land use.(excluding Young Leaders Council)
- Upon acceptance, council members commit to attending two one-day meetings per calendar year. The meetings will be 4 – 6 hours in duration.
- Council affiliation fees will be $250 per year. The fees will cover meeting space, breakfast and/or lunch for council days.
- Each council will elect a Council Chair and two Vice-Chairs. Leadership will be responsible for programming and membership.
- Each council member will have the option to renew annually for three (3) years. After three (3) years, the council member will be asked to reapply.
- Every effort will be made to maintain professional, ethnic and gender diverse councils.
- Confidentiality: The foundation for open and honest sharing of detailed information and experience;
- Open, honest, specific information and experience: Participate openly and honestly with specific, detailed information and experience from your current real estate practice;
- No self promotion: Presentations and discussions aimed at delivering real take home value;
- Recruit the best and the brightest: Invite innovative leaders both ULI and non-ULI members as guests. Identify ways to continually add value to the conversation and make an impact in the community.